Pressure Washer Safety Tips – How to Use Without Getting Yourself Injured
Pressure washers can be a great tool for washing and cleaning whether you are using it at home or at work. However, it can be equally dangerous for you and others around you if you don’t take the necessary safety precautions before use. We have outlined some of the basic precautions you need to keep in mind before using.
- Check the engine oil level each time before use.
- Avoid over filling the engine with oil. Overfilling can have dangerous affects such as the spark plug may get damaged and oil may overflow to the air filter damaging your equipment.
- Refrain from turning on the pressure washer before turning on the water supply. This can damage the pump.
- Don’t refuel an engine that’s running hot, wait a while for it to cool down.
- When the washer is pressurized do not open the high pressure hose.
- While you are spraying make sure that you do not change the spraying pattern or spraying tip. This can cause damage to other people around the washer.
- Make sure you are always in a stable position when you are using the washer. Avoid using from ladders or other unstable positions where you are not in full control of your balance. This might cause you to hit other people or wall surfaces.
- The high pressure hose is one of the most crucial components. If it’s damaged avoid trying to repair and just purchase a new one for use.
- ALWAYS read all the instructions in the operating manual and the safety stickers on the washer.
- Do not forget to wear safety goggles. The spray may break loose bits of paint or other particles which might enter your eyes.
- Before spraying maintain a firm stance so that you won’t be knocked back if the gun kicks back before you press the trigger. Use both hands to firmly grasp the spray gun so that you don’t lose control once the gun starts spraying.
- Do not directly spray any animals or people. The high pressure spray may cause cuts and so be very careful while spraying.
- Avoid wearing shoes where your toes are exposed. The spray can cause damage to your toes if hit directly.
- Be EXTRA CAREFUL when spraying near electrical cables or power lines. Avoid hitting the cables or power lines directly at all costs, as it may damage them and cause short circuit.
- Do not spray on windows because it may break the glass and you might hit anyone outside or near the window.
- Keep the pressure washer away from the reach of children and do not allow children to play around the washer while operating. If you have small children at home do not leave the washer unattended for even a second.
- Every time after you’re done using the washer make sure to squeeze the spray gun trigger after you have turned the engine off. This releases the extra pressure trapped in the spray gun.
Follow each of the steps mentioned above to ensure maximum safety for use. Remember using the washer carelessly can be dangerous. Happy washing!